European Board in Head and Neck Radiology Diploma
Aim(s) and target group
The diploma first introduced by the European Society of Head and Neck Radiology (ESHNR) in 2009 is the common European qualification for head and neck radiology specialists and standardises training and expertise in head and neck imaging subspecialisation across Europe. The European Board in Head and Neck Radiology (EBiHNR) Diploma is endorsed by the European Society of Radiology (ESR), as well as by some national radiological societies.
The EBiHNR Diploma is a document certifying in-depth knowledge of the pertinent anatomy, pathology, clinical-radiologic and imaging-related issues in the field of head and neck and maxillo-facial radiology, going beyond the requirements included in the Revised European Training Charter for Clinical Radiology (European Diploma in Radiology, EDiR).
This diploma represents a recognised qualification in head and neck imaging subspecialisation and assists head and neck imagers in the promotion of their skills and experience when dealing with other clinical colleagues and with the general public.
Examination handling fee:
- 400.00 € ESHNR Active Members
- 800.00 € ESHNR Corresponding Members
In case a candidate does not pass the EBiHNR Diploma, the candidate may apply one year later again, in order to re-take the examination. No reduced fee for re-examination will be granted.
Eligible for the European Board in Head and Neck Radiology Diploma are radiologists who have:
- Have completed at least 5 years of general radiology training and have a European radiology qualification diploma or the equivalent of a European radiology diploma
- Fulfil the criteria of the Level III subspecialty curriculum in head and neck radiology as outlined in the official ESR training curriculum booklet
- Can provide proof of at least 100 hours of postgraduate teaching
- Are members of the ESHNR and ESR
- No restriction on nationality and country of training.
Candidates applying for the European Board in Head and Neck Radiology Diploma need to:
- Fulfil the eligibility criteria
- Acquire a total amount of at least 100 points by:
- Attending different national or international meetings or courses/workshops in head and neck radiology including the ESHNR educational webinars. If the courses/meetings/workshops do not deal exclusively with head and neck radiology, a detailed list of the lectures attended by the candidate should be provided (e.g. if in a 5 day international meeting, there are only 10 hours on head and neck radiology, only these 10 hours give 10 points (1 hour = 1 point)
- Overall the candidate is required to attend courses covering 5 of the 8 sub-fields of the head and neck as described in the Appendix 1.
- Attending at least one annual meeting of the ESHNR (the only attended ESHNR Annual Meeting can be the meeting where the candidate sits the exam).
- Presenting a paper or a poster at the ESHNR meeting or by publishing a paper in a peer-reviewed journal as first author, second author or last author
- Attending the ESHNR-ESOR Exchange Fellowship Programme (100 points)
- Provide to the ESHNR Office (firstname.lastname@example.org) the following documents:
- Application form
- Curriculum Vitae
- Copy of the diploma certifying that the applicant is a medical doctor
- Copy of the diploma certifying that the applicant has a European radiology qualification diploma or the equivalent of a European radiology diploma
- Letter of certification of the Chairman of the Department where the trainee comes from
- Copy of the certificate of attendance of one Annual Meeting of the ESHNR (if the candidate has not yet attended one annual ESHNR meeting, he/she has to provide a proof of inscription to the meeting; the diploma will be awarded only upon successful examination and confirmation of attendance at the annual ESHNR meeting)
- Copy of the certificate of attendance of all meetings, courses, exchange programmes or presented posters/oral presentations as well as published papers
- Certification of having performed and passed the European radiology qualification diploma or the equivalent of a European radiology diploma
- Copy of ESHNR and ESR membership certificates
- Pay the application fee (400.00 € Active members; 800.00 € Corresponding members)
The examination consists of a written and oral part. Both parts must be passed with at least 70% correct answers for the written exam and at least 2 out of 3 well-solved oral cases, respectively. The detailed instructions for the examination are included in Appendix 3.
The candidates will be examined by head and neck radiology experts nominated by the Educational Committee of the ESHNR.
Written exam lasts 75 minutes and includes four types of questions:
- Multiple choice questions,
- Normal / normal variant versus abnormal
- Annotate the structures questions
- Short clinical cases
The oral exam lasts 45 minutes oral examination and includes:
- 3 cases (15 minutes / case)
The candidate is expected to be able to describe the relevant findings and discuss them with the examiners, provide a differential diagnosis and discuss possible treatment options or further diagnostic tests. The most important part of the oral examination is that the candidate shows that he/ she is able to analyse the case appropriately and provide a suitable differential diagnosis.
Successful candidates will be awarded the European Board of Head and Neck Radiology Diploma. In addition, they become Fellows of the ESHNR. The Fellow status is valid for as long as the Diploma is valid.
Diploma validity and renewal
The European Board in Head and Neck Radiology Diploma is valid for 5 years.
ESHNR will renew the European Board in Head and Neck Radiology Diploma every five years for full ESHNR and ESR members in good standing upon proof of at least 100 CME credits in Head and Neck Radiology within 5 years. Attendance of at least one ESHNR Annual Meeting within that period is mandatory.
Diploma renewal handling fee: 30.00 €.
Application for the diploma
To apply for the diploma, please fill in the Application Form and send it together with all necessary documents to the ESHNR Office (email@example.com).
For your application to be reviewed by the ESHNR Educational Committee, your application needs to be complete and have your documents in an organised manner, properly named and scanned.
European Board in Head and Neck Radiology Diploma examination 2020 dates:
- EXAMINATION CANCELLED
ECR 2020 | July 15-19, 2020 | Vienna/AT
Due to online format of the ECR 2020, there will be no examination in July 202 in Vienna.
- EXAMINATION CANCELLED
ESHNR 2020 | September 10-12, 2020 | Salzburg/AT
Due to the cancellation of ESHNR 2020, the examination will not be possible in September 2020 in Salzburg.
- The exam is postponed until further notice.